Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I think I've Finally Discovered the Reasoning Behing Voting for Bush!

I was reading news sites today and speculating that perhaps Hawaii may swing decidedly in Kerry's direction tons of people will be following the news pretty closely, given that the election is today. Anyway, barried in the news cycle is a report the a Philipino was taken hostage in Iraq. My thinking is that this news may cause many fence sitters (or even some Bush leaners) in the large Philipino community there to reject Bush for his mis-management of Iraq. That is, this news may hit a bit closer to home than other reports.
Of course, when I mentioned this to someone the immediate response was that it may have the opposite effect and cause them to rally behing Bush. I've heard this before and have never been able to understand it. It seems that the exact opposite holds in just about every other area of life. For example, if I take my car into a mechanic on, say, three occasions, and every time he not only fails to fix the problem, not only would it seem odd that I would take my car to him a fourth time, but I certainly wouldn't begin to sing his praises after the fact. This isn't true with Bush, however.
The thinking behing this has always evaded me, but I think I may finally have nailed it. What these voters are doing is sort of playing the odds. That is to say, what they're saying to themselves is that the guys just got to be due! I mean after fucking up so much so often, he's just bound to get it right one of these days.
I don't think that this is by any means a good reason, but at least it's a reason.