Thursday, July 01, 2004

What Saddam Wasn't Charged With.

My Mom, the brilliant one, pointed out something that I think is pretty interesting. As you most likely already know, Saddam was arraigned in an Iraqi court earlier. According to CNN:

The former dictator listened to seven preliminary charges outlined in his arrest warrant -- the killing of religious figures in 1974; gassing of Kurds in Halabja in 1988; killing the Kurdish Barzani clan in 1983; killing members of political parties in the last 30 years; the 1986-88 ''Anfal'' campaign of displacing Kurds; the suppression of the 1991 uprisings by Kurds and Shiites; and the 1990 invasion of Kuwait.


What I think is so interesting here is what he wasn't charged with. Specifically, we don't here anything about his participation in 9/11, and if he would be charged with invading Kuwait by this particular court, I see no reason why they would not also charge him with any role he played in 9/11. More generally, we also don't see any charges surrounding his connections with Al Queda. Further, there's nothing about building nukes, WMD's or whatever. I wonder if anyone is going to point this out? I'm not going to hold my breath.